Thursday, November 30, 2006

NETWORK WHILE YOU’RE SPREADING HOLIDAY CHEER

I thought this might be a good time to cover networking, since most of us will be out attending parties, dinners and other celebrations during the upcoming holiday season.

First, let me say that I don’t believe in pushing my writing business down the throats of every social contact I make. However, I also don’t believe that opportunities to make contacts should be ignored. If the opportunity to network presents itself to me, I’ll take a low-key approach, but I will take it.

So, when you walk into a large gathering where you may not know some of the other people, how do you make the most of the time spent there? When you meet someone new, what’s the first thing they ask about you? What do you do? or the variation for retirees, What did you do when you worked? People are always looking for a connection to others—maybe a shared occupation or experience.

The next time you’re asked what you do, be prepared. “I am a freelance writer.” You can say that now that you’re retired, you’re working at becoming a writer, or that you’ve begun writing in your spare time if you have another fulltime job. It doesn’t matter what you say, as long as you mention your new career. If they ask what type of writing you do, you have an opening to mention that you can produce a variety of projects such as writing biographies for clients or creating brochures for small businesses. Whatever it is that you want to focus on, mention it.

People will most likely be interested in hearing more. Have some cards with you to hand out to those who are curious. If they’re not interested, you haven’t lost anything.

Now, one of several things might happen:

1. They may say “That’s interesting. I’d like to learn more about it.” Then you can suggest getting together after the holidays for lunch or coffee. This encounter may lead to work for you or it may lead to a friendship with a kindred spirit.
2. They might ask for more information, in which case you can quickly fill them in or make plans to meet somewhere later.
3. They might actually say, “Gee, I’ve been looking for someone to help me ...” or “I have a friend, relative, business associate looking for someone with your skills.” In that case, hand them you business card and get theirs so you can contact them later.
4. They’ll say, “H-m-m-m” and walk away. Okay, these people may decide you’re the most boring person on the planet because you’re a writer, or they may want to digest what you’ve said and will come back over later to talk more about writing.

While you might leave the gathering with no positive feedback, chances are you will make an impression on someone. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve met people who didn’t seem that interested, but that sought me out later for a project or to recommend I call someone who needed my services.

As I write about this, I can remember a conversation from when I first married that, at the time, horrified me. A family member was talking about having joined the country club and taken up golf to meet prospective clients. He said he got so impatient when golfing partners only wanted to talk about golf or football, and he wanted to talk business. I thought that was a ruthless approach to finding clients, but later I realized he was basically right—he just had the wrong approach. However, he did become VERY successful, so maybe he changed his approach, or maybe he achieved success in spite of being pushy and impatient.

There is nothing wrong with taking advantage of social activities to boost your business, but that shouldn’t be your only goal. Don’t go into a situation expecting to blatantly promote your business. Do go in with an open mind, and a willingness to bring up what you do if someone seems interested. And always go in with the goal of helping someone else achieve their goals.

Actually, if I’m at a gathering, the host usually introduces me to people with the phrase, “She’s a writer.” They might mention more. Usually, someone or several people will seek me out to find out more. Sometimes it’s because they want to do the same thing—in which case I offer my help. Sometimes, someone approaches me that wants to know if I can write something for their business, or a personal memoir.

Most people love to help people. It’s inbred, in our blood.

And maybe that’s a good lesson for all of us to remember this holiday season. Perhaps you can’t give time or money to help someone less fortunate, but you can always give someone a leg up by recommending they call you later, or suggesting they call a friend who might can help them achieve their goals or dreams. People don’t always need a handout; they may simply need a helping hand up.

What goes around, comes around. Every time you help someone else, it will eventually come back to you. Look at life that way, and your in-basket will always be overflowing.

No comments: