Monday, April 23, 2007

WEB SITES FOR WRITERS

The following are resources that might be useful to writers. The following Web sites were all checked by me, and I include comments about what I found there.

www.fundsforwriters.com

This site is loaded with links to sites where writers can find grants, contests, and fellowships, BUT you must pay for what you get. I copied the following from their Web site


TOTAL FundsforWriters - Our biggest and best newsletter
Writers claim it's the best investment they've ever made in their freelance careers. $12 a year for 26 biweekly issues containing 90+ grants, competitions, markets, jobs, publishers and agents seeking your work and all paying $350 or 20cents/ word and up.
I have not subscribed to the newsletter, so can’t comment on its usefulness. If any readers have a subscription, we’d all love to know if it is worth the price.

I went to this site expecting to find them buying writing on any topic, which would then be placed on their site. However, it is not up and running yet. I have no idea whether it has been up in the past, but it was listed in Writer’s Digest “101 Best Websites for Writers.”
I will check back with this site after my book is finished, and hope to find that the information I found in Writer’s Digest is correct, which states that writers name their price for their work and place it on this site. Then, those in need of written material browse the site and pay for articles, etc. that they want to use. You are charged 35 percent commission on any work of yours that they sell, but it doesn’t cost anything to place your work on their site. And you get to keep 65 percent. It sounds good—almost too good to be true. That’s why I’ll check it again so I can let you know if it’s as good as it sounds—or you can check it out for yourselves.

www.literarylawguide.com/resources.htm

I was hoping to quote the first line of lyrics to a song that was popular during the sixties in my book, so I went here to find out how to go about getting permission, or find out if using this line would violate copyright law. I didn’t learn what I needed to know (darn!), but I found some articles on various subjects that might be helpful to some of you (and me, maybe).

I did find out that celebrities (like the ones who wrote the song lyrics I’m interested in) will often sue anyone who uses their name or likeness for financial gain. Since I was hoping to quote those lyrics and name their creators in the next to the last chapter of my book, I didn’t think using their names would attract more buyers for the book since I wouldn’t be using their name in advertisements, but these celebrities might think otherwise. I had thought their words might just provide a frame of reference for readers to the times I had written about.

I finally went to a quote Web site and found something that would work. Check out the above website to find out if it has answers to questions you might have. There may be much more to the site than I discovered during my two minute cruise through it.

www.writerswrite.com

The above Web site contains good sources of information on self-publishing.

The magazine: Writer’s Digest

If you want to find the complete list of “101 Best Web sites for Writers,” it’s available in the June, 2007 issue of Writer’s Digest. I would recommend that you get a subscription to Writer’s Digest since every issue has something useful for writers. On the Web,
www.writersdigest.com/newsletter for a free e-newsletter, or buy the current issue and subscribe with one of the enclosed cards.

Almost everything I learned at first about writing came out of several years’ of back issues of Writer’s Digest that I read at the public library.

No comments: