Thursday, December 06, 2007

FOR THE LOVE OF BOOKS!

One of the greatest gifts we can give to someone we love, especially a child, is the love of reading. Youngsters don’t normally discover books without a guiding hand from a parent, grandparent, or an adult they respect.

I was taught to love books early and remember hungrily scouring the library’s bookshelves as a kid, searching for that special book with which to spend a hot, lazy summer afternoon.

And then one day I realized books have the power to provide a complete education to anyone willing to learn. Want to know how to hunt for wild game, then dress it and prepare it? That information is available in a book. Want to know how to write a computer program? You’ll find that in a book, too. No matter what anyone wants to learn, it’s all there on the bookshelf.

When I wanted to learn how to make a living as a writer, I searched every library within a 100 mile radius, looking for information that would educate me. Stacks of books lay about my feet and I greedily devoured them all, searching for the clues that would make me a successful writer and making notes to keep for later reference.

After almost twenty years of practicing what I learned, I wrote a book about making money from writing titled “Portable Writing: the secret to living your dreams with 25 projects to fund your freedom.” You see, the secret I discovered from books is that writing could fulfill all my dreams. I can live where I want, travel where or when I desire to, and make money while pursuing the pleasures of life. Not a bad way to live.

So to all you aspiring writers out there, I recommend that you read my book to learn how you can live your own fulfilling life and pursue your own dreams on your own terms. And think about others on your shopping list this Christmas who would love to learn from a simple, easy to understand book how they can lead a successful life as a writer. You can order a copy by clicking on
http://www.booklocker.com/books/2461.html or at www.Amazon.com.

For those aging boomers on your list who might be interested in recalling the turbulent ‘60s, or the civil rights movement, or any other profound moment that has happened during their lifetimes, why not buy them a copy of “Looking Back: Boomers Remember History from the ‘40s to the Present.” You can buy it at:
http://www.booklocker.com/books/3256.html or www.Amazon.com.

Give the gift of books this Christmas! Clothes wear out or go out of fashion, electronics become outdated, and food gets eaten and then is quickly forgotten. Books are the most lasting and meaningful gifts you can give to someone you care about.

1 comment:

CrochetBlogger said...

your right - books make a great gift for everyone, especially writers. People tend to forget that these days when so much writing is done online. Magazine subscriptions are another good Christmas gift for writers and readers. Here are some others that I want as a writer: http://hubpages.com/_1zscpj3dl41eg/hub/Christmas-Gift-Ideas-for-Writers-and-Bloggers.