Saturday, June 02, 2007

GETTING BOOKS PRINTED IF YOU PLAN TO SELF-PUBLISH

I’ve heard about Morris Cookbooks for years and had heard that they also print regular books, so I finally decided to order their kit to see exactly what is offered in the way of cookbook printing. I received three examples of their cookbooks (complete cookbooks, but all the same recipes) that include a padded notebook, padded hardcover that’s plastic spiral-bound, and laminated soft cover that is spiral bound. They are lovely. The cost for the soft cover is only a little over $2.00 per unit, and the notebook edition costs a little over $5.00 for each copy and includes a holder that you can stand on a countertop to hold it upright. Their work is extremely nice, as are the layouts of the books and the artwork. They furnish everything for the price, but you can make changes for an upgrade in price.

They provide a CD that has all the information on it as well as a step-by-step book that displays their covers, page designs, etc. in color.

The only downside I could find during my quick read through their how-to-book was that they put their copyright on it UNLESS you provide your own artwork, do your own setup and send it in camera-ready. Also, I don’t think it is a “print-on-demand” company, meaning they can’t print small runs immediately. Minimum order is 200 copies.

When I had 25 copies of a self-published cookbook printed four years ago, it cost about $5 per copy for a cover of card stock and a plastic comb binding. Then I had to go back and get 25 more printed! I did them simply as Christmas gifts for friends and family, but found there was a demand for them from others who saw them. So my total cost was about $250. I could have had 200 copies of the same book, better looking, for less than $500.


Morris is a viable source for printing that cookbook you’ve been thinking about writing and if you want to get their publishing kit to see exactly what they offer, you can order it for free from their website:
www.Morriscookbooks.com. They’re set up to print for non-profit organizations, but they also do family and individual cookbooks.

I know there are plenty of printing companies that self-publishers use that have “print-on-demand” capabilities. I don’t know anything about the prices they charge, though, or even the names. The best way to find out about them is to network with other writers and ask those who have self-published who they use. I’ll write more about self-publishing as I learn more.

If you are thinking about doing a self-published cookbook or regular book, Morris should definitely be contacted for pricing before you choose a printer. The quality of books they send in their kit is exceptional.

NOTE: You should always check several sources of printing for pricing and offerings. I have never personally used Morris for a self-published book, so can’t recommend them based on personal experience.

No comments: