Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Live Your Dreams as a Writer
If I could do it, you can too!


To write: that was my dream. To make enough money to travel: that was my goal.

So what are your dreams and goals? Are you a writer who doesn’t earn enough income support the family? Or, do you wish you could become a writer but don’t know how to start? Maybe you’re already writing for a living and make plenty of money, but you’d just like some new ideas to stimulate you and provide excitement to your career.

I wrote the book, Portable Writing, as an answer to all of the above dilemmas. I once was that person dreaming of writing. And for awhile, I was that writer not making enough income from churning out articles for magazines and newspapers. Yeah, I was seeing my name in print, but that doesn’t necessarily put food on the table.

Then an old friend called and asked if I could write some promotional materials for her business. Another asked if I could write an article about her business for the newspaper. Step by step and brick by brick, my business grew as more and more clients asked for my help writing effective business correspondence.

Soon, I was asked to not only write, but to create newsletters and brochures. So I bought a computer with graphics capabilities and desktop publishing software, and began spending my spare time learning to use them. I applied the same methods to mastering those skills as I did to learning to write. I read everything I could find on the subject and asked advice from everyone who knew anything about the field. Once I began providing both writing and DTP services, my business exploded.

My message to you is that you can do everything I did, and probably better than I ever could. None of what I’ve done requires any special talent or education. I grew up believing that I could succeed at anything I put my mind to – and that anyone else can, too. Of course, that didn’t mean I could become a Nobel prize-winning scientist or mathematician. But if I had been even remotely interested in either, I have no doubt that I could have at least done okay.

If you want to be a successful writer, if you want to make lots of money creating words that people will read, you can do it if you really try. You might be one of those lucky people who has a book idea, writes it, gets a publishing contract paying a huge advance, and hits the best seller list immediately. You might, but the odds are against you. That is why you need a few other ideas in your writing arsenal to keep you afloat.

Learn your craft, work hard and read Portable Writing to discover 25 projects that will propel you towards your goal. It took me twenty years to learn what I know, but you can do it much faster – within weeks – if you put into practice everything I’ve shared in Portable Writing. Go for it! I wish you good luck and blessings for your chosen career.

No comments: